1366 Technologies is widely recognized as among the most innovative companies in energy and is the recipient of numerous awards including: MIT Technology Review’s 50 Smartest Companies, Bloomberg’s New Energy Pioneer, Finalist for the 2018 Zayed Future Energy Prize, CeraWeek’s Energy Innovation Pioneer and the World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneer.
The company has solved a 40-year-old manufacturing problem for the solar industry: is it possible to make a better manufacturing process for silicon wafers? The silicon wafer is the most expensive part of a solar panel, and our innovative Direct Wafer® technology replaces the decades-old wafer manufacturing process largely responsible for the wafer’s expense. With our Direct Wafer® technology, we make a superior class of silicon wafers at half the cost and one third the energy. 1366 has strong financial backing and currently operates a demonstration factory in Bedford, MA. We have successfully tested our wafers with many of the world’s leading cell and module manufacturers and are now scaling the technology. This phase of our growth involves building a large-scale commercial factory in South East Asia that will serve the rapidly growing $10B silicon wafer industry. For applicants, this step represents a unique career opportunity.
We are expanding our team of world-class individuals to support ongoing development and growth. Specifically, we are looking for a Senior Engineer with the ability to function as a strong technologist, work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment, and drive technology through a brand new modern manufacturing process.
Equipment Development Engineer
The Equipment Development Engineer reports directly to the VP of Equipment Development and drives process and equipment solutions used in Direct Wafer manufacturing. Bridging between process development and equipment design, familiarity with a broad range of technologies and hands-on resourcefulness are key for this role. The ideal candidate is a proficient, thorough machine designer who understands how to convert system requirements to machine specifications. Contributions will include machine design for “Next-Generation” wafer growth and supporting process equipment as well as laboratory proof-of-concept prototyping. This position has excellent growth potential as the company executes its first commercial factory, scales production volumes and expands its capabilities and staff over the next few years.
Tasks for the coming year
- Successfully complete the first commercial factory
- Design machine systems for robust wafer production process
- Work with process engineers to characterize and define equipment functional requirements and system capabilities
- Deliver equipment prototypes to prove concept feasibility
- Produce and analyze data to prove technology effectiveness
- Support operations with continuous improvement efforts
- Maintain and enhance 1366’s work environment: At our Company hard work and creative problem solving characterize every day. We create the technologies that others find difficult or infeasible, and we have fun along the way.
- Expertise in system thinking and creative problem solving, mechanical engineering degree required
- ~5 years of experience in manufacturing equipment development
- Fluency with common commercial automation system hardware
- Familiarity with robust process development methods and practices
- Functional knowledge of probability & statistics, DoE
- Effectiveness with lab equipment, assembly tools and measurement devices
- Comfortable working independently and cross-functionally as part of a team
- Familiarity with conventional project management methods
- Passion for tackling, organizing and solving under-defined problems
- Effective communication skills (listening, presenting, technical writing)
- Experience w/SolidWorks, CAD packages