1366 Technologies aims to make solar energy the cheapest form of power the world has ever known. The Company’s Direct Wafer® technology replaces a decades-old solar manufacturing process to make a superior class of silicon wafers, the building blocks of solar panels, at a fraction of today’s cost. 1366 has strong financial backing and currently operates a demonstration factory in Bedford, MA. The next phase in the company’s growth is to build a large-scale commercial factory that would serve the rapidly growing $10B silicon wafer industry.
1366 is widely recognized as among the most innovative in energy and is the recipient of numerous awards including: Finalist for the 2018 Zayed Future Energy Prize, Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer, MIT Technology Review’s 50 Smartest Companies, and World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
We are expanding our team of world-class individuals to support ongoing development and growth. Specifically, we are looking for a Senior Engineer with the ability to function as a strong technologist, work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment, and drive technology through to a robust manufacturing process. This is a unique opportunity to make a difference for our planet and in one’s professional career.
Process & Equipment Development Engineer
The Process & Equipment Development Engineer reports to the VP of Equipment Development and drives process and equipment solutions used in Direct Wafer® manufacturing. Bridging between process development and equipment design, familiarity with a broad range of technologies and hands-on resourcefulness are key for this role. The ideal candidate is a prompt, systems-thinking problem solver who is at home in the lab, and analyzing data. Contributions will include growth systems operation and testing, laboratory proof-of-concept proto-typing, experimentation and process development to establish production equipment specification. This position has excellent growth potential as the company expands its capabilities and staff over the next few years.
Tasks for the Coming Year
- Initiate, design and execute experiments to characterize process variation and control
- Work with process engineers to characterize and define equipment functional requirements and system capabilities
- Deliver equipment prototypes to prove concept feasibility
- Produce and analyze data to prove technology effectiveness
- Design production equipment systems and subsystems
- Support operations with continuous improvement efforts
- Maintain and enhance 1366’s work environment: At our Company hard work and creative problem solving characterize every day. We create the technologies that others find difficult or infeasible, and we have fun along the way.
- Expertise in system thinking and creative problem solving, mechanical engineering degree required
- ~5 years of experience in manufacturing equipment development
- Familiarity with robust process development methods and practices
- Familiarity with common commercial automation hardware and controls systems
- Functional knowledge of probability & statistics, DoE
- Effectiveness with lab equipment, assembly tools and measurement devices
- Comfortable working independently and cross-functionally as part of a team
- Familiarity with conventional project management methods
- Passion for organizing and solving under-defined problems
- Effective communication skills (listening, presenting, technical writing)