1366 Technologies aims to make solar energy the cheapest form of power the world has ever known. The Company’s Direct Wafer® technology replaces a decades-old solar manufacturing process to make a superior class of silicon wafers, the building blocks of solar panels, at a fraction of today’s cost. 1366 has strong financial backing and currently operates a demonstration factory in Bedford, MA. The next phase in the company’s growth is to build a large-scale commercial factory that would serve the rapidly growing $10B silicon wafer industry. We are expanding our team of world-class individuals to support ongoing development and growth.
1366 is widely recognized as among the most innovative in energy and is the recipient of numerous awards including: Finalist for the 2018 Zayed Future Energy Prize, Bloomberg New Energy Pioneer, MIT Technology Review’s 50 Smartest Companies, and World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer.
We are looking for a talented scientist or research engineer who likes to work on the interface of R&D and manufacturing. In his or her mind, inventing, adapting, or adopting a new process and seeing it move from lab to fab is the most exciting job he/she can think of. You will need a solid foundation in PV fundamentals, with the curiosity and drive to synthesize solutions to problems using technology from diverse fields. The job comprises the whole trajectory from research to process development and integration through manufacturing equipment specification to equipment and process commissioning in our new factory.
The scientist or research engineer will be part of a larger team of R&D and manufacturing engineers, and will have ample opportunity to work closely with other subject and process experts, as well as an elite team of automation and mechanical engineers. Collaboration internally as well as with external parties and equipment vendors is an essential element of the job.
This position reports to the VP of Direct Wafer Process R&D, but in this position you will have the opportunity to interface with virtually all facets of the business, from research to process development to manufacturing and quality control, and your efforts will be visible to the entire company, from technicians to senior management.
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science or similar with at least 3 years work experience demonstrating high impact
- Strong analytical skills
- Comfortable leading projects, but also being the chemistry resource on teams composed of engineers
- Experience with Photovoltaics is an advantage, especially with silicon solar cells
- Experience in wet or dry etching is a plus
- A demonstrated ability to solve problems using multidisciplinary and hands-on approaches
- Experience using Design of Experiments tools such as JMP to understand complex systems and optimize
- Proven track record of working closely with third parties like equipment vendors and/or research institutes
- Eager to be in the lab and translate your ideas into results
- Must enjoy frequent interactions and open communication with a wide variety of personnel