1366 Technologies is widely recognized as among the most innovative companies in energy and is the recipient of numerous awards including: MIT Technology Review’s 50 Smartest Companies, Bloomberg’s New Energy Pioneer, Finalist for the 2018 Zayed Future Energy Prize, CeraWeek’s Energy Innovation Pioneer and the World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneer.
The company has solved a 40-year-old manufacturing problem for the solar industry: is it possible to make a better manufacturing process for silicon wafers? The silicon wafer is the most expensive part of a solar panel, and our innovative Direct Wafer® technology replaces the decades-old wafer manufacturing process largely responsible for the wafer’s expense. With our Direct Wafer® technology, we make a superior class of silicon wafers at half the cost and one third the energy. 1366 has strong financial backing and currently operates a demonstration factory in Bedford, MA. We have successfully tested our wafers with many of the world’s leading cell and module manufacturers and are now scaling the technology. This phase of our growth involves building a large-scale commercial factory in South East Asia that will serve the rapidly growing $10B silicon wafer industry. For applicants, this step represents a unique career opportunity.
We are expanding our team of world-class individuals to support ongoing development and growth. Specifically, we are looking for a Senior Engineer with the ability to function as a strong technologist, work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment, and drive technology of a brand new manufacturing process.
1366 Technologies has been developing our innovative DirectWafer® process over the past several years and we are eagerly anticipating and preparing for an expansion of our pilot manufacturing processes into our first full-scale factory in 2019.
In this position you will be a key member of our world-class team delivering control system hardware and software solutions in support of our manufacturing processes. Work will include the design of new equipment as well as support, optimization, enhancement, and cost-down of existing equipment designs. You will also be part of the team that supports the equipment contract manufacturing effort and on-site commissioning of equipment as it is delivered to the factory.
We are looking for a talented engineer with a good breadth of experience who is ready to hit the ground running and demonstrate commitment to our mission. 1366 is an extremely fast-paced environment, and you must be motivated, flexible, love what you do, and continually strive to help us make the vision of DirectWafer® a reality. This is a unique opportunity to have a significant positive impact on the future.
- This position requires a BS degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field of study, and 5+ years of experience in industrial automation with a manufacturing emphasis.
- Significant experience with the development, deployment, and support of robust manufacturing equipment in an active production environment; experience with fast-paced large scale equipment rollouts is considered a significant plus.
- Demonstrated success at working as a valuable member of a team that can take an idea from concept through design to full production, all the while demonstrating ownership, flexibility, and excellent judgement regarding design tradeoffs.
- Experience with project management methodologies and demonstrable successful project execution.
- Strong programming skills with a track record building full-scale applications that include safety, process control, motion control, instrumentation, HMI, alarm management, device networks, and data collection.
- Experience with at least two mainstream automation platforms (Rockwell, SIEMENS, B&R, Beckhoff, Mitsubishi, Omron). We have standardized on B&R Automation (Bernecker + Rainer); experience or familiarity with this platform is a significant bonus.
- Fluency in at least two IEC 61131 programming languages, including Structured Text (ST), Sequential Function Chart (SFC), Function Block Diagram (FBD) and Ladder Diagram (LD).
- Experience with various 3rd party intelligent devices and their integration into both laboratory and production equipment. Examples include vision inspection systems, laser-based cutting/marking systems, data collection systems, various PV quality assessment systems, etc.
- Experience with selecting and sizing of electrical components of control systems. Ability to understand and generate electrical schematics. Familiarity with applicable electrical standards, including but not limited to NFPA 79 and/or IEC 60204-1. Experience with Solidworks and/or Solidworks Electrical is a plus.
- Familiarity with U.S. and European standards related to equipment design and safety, including risk assessment process. Experience with UL and/or CE certification processes is considered a significant plus.
- Experience in the following is a significant bonus: Use of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET to create WPF or WinForms applications for the purposes of HMI and/or interfacing with external devices (via serial, TCP/IP, 3rd party APIs, etc.) and databases (preferably Microsoft SQL server).